Embed

Share

Megyn Kelly isn’t buying Bill O’Reilly’s claim that no one complained about his behavior, because she says she did but was ignored. Veuer's Nathan Rousseau Smith (@FantasticMrNate) reports. Buzz60

Megyn Kelly poses on the set of her new show, “Megyn Kelly Today” at NBC Studios on Sept, 21, 2017, in New York.(Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

NBC host Megyn Kelly issued a blistering on-air attack against her former Fox News co-worker, Bill O’Reilly, Monday and made public an email she sent last year to top executives complaining about O’Reilly’s attitude toward the problem of sexual harassment at the network.

Kelly called out O’Reilly after he dismissed a New York Times report that he paid $32 million to settle a sexual harassment allegation against him as a “smear article.” She called the settlement sum “jaw-dropping” and pointed out that O.J. Simpson was ordered to pay $33.5 million for the death of two people. 

“What on earth would justify that amount?” Kelly asked. “What awfulness went on?”

A statement on O’Reilly’s website said: “In the more than 20 years Bill O’Reilly worked at Fox News, not one complaint was filed against him with the Human Resources Department or Legal Department.” 

Kelly conceded that no complaint may have ever reached human resources or the legal department because “Fox News was not exactly a friendly environment for harassment victims who wanted to report, in my experience.” 

“However, O’Reilly’s suggestion that no one ever complained about his behavior is false,” Kelly said. “I know because I complained.” 

According to Kelly, she sent the email the day her memoir, Settle for More, hit the shelves. The book included a chapter on the sexual harassment claims against former Fox News head Roger Ailes. Kelly was later upset by O’Reilly’s reaction to that portion of the book. 

More: Jake Tapper shades O’Reilly for ratings jab: You were ‘humiliated in front of the world’

Related: Bill O’Reilly dismisses NYT report as ‘lies and smears’

“I am not interested in basically litigating something that is finished that makes my network look bad,” a visibly angry O’Reilly said during an appearance on CBS News. 

Kelly said she made her email public, “because I think it speaks volumes about powerful men and the roadblocks one can face in taking them on.” 

“Perhaps he didn’t realize the kind of message his criticism send [sic] to young women across this country about how men continue to view the issue of speaking out about sexual harassment,” Kelly’s email said. “Perhaps he didn’t realize that his exact attitude of shaming women into shutting the hell up about harassment — on grounds that ‘it will disgrace the company’ is in part how Fox News got into the decade-long Ailes mess to begin with.” 

Kelly said O’Reilly’s “own history of harassment of women” had “blinded him to the folly of saying anything other than ‘I am just so sorry for the women of this company who never should have had to go through that.'” 

Kelly said management promised to “deal with O’Reilly” but that same night O’Reilly went on the air “with management’s advance notice and blessing to go on the air and attack the company’s harassment victims, yet again.” 

“This is not unique to Fox News,” Kelly said.” Women everywhere are used to be dismissed, ignored or attacked when raising complaints about men in authority positions.” 

“It gives me no pleasure to report such news about my former employer, which has absolutely made some reforms since all of this went down,” she said. “But this must stop. The abuse of women, the shaming of them, the threatening of retaliation, the silencing of them after the fact, it has to stop.” 

A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.